Thursday 23. May 2013 | 20:52
COMPANY - HISTORY
Athesia Druck - the printing houses of the Athesia Group
he history of today’s Athesia publishing house and the closely associated “Dolomiten” newspaper reflects the history of Tyrol, above all South Tyrol, since the beginnings of the free press in Europe. For over 100 years this company (previously called Tyrolia) and its newspaper has accompanied the people of our land through good times and bad. Following the success of the “Brixener Chronik”, the call arose for a similar information medium in the Bozen area.
The Brixen professor of theology Dr Aemilian Schöpfer, first chairman of Tyrolia and later to be elected to both the regional and imperial parliaments († 1936), founds the “Katholisch-politisch Casino für Brixen und Umgebung” with others of like mind and, a short while later, the weekly “Brixener Chronik”.
Establishment of the Catholic-political press association in Brixen with its own printing house.
Establishment of the Tyrolia press association in Bozen with bookshop and printing house and the thrice-weekly newspaper “Der Tiroler”.
Amalgamation of the Brixen and Bozen press associations into the Tyrolia publishing house, with a printing house in Innsbruck and the Innsbruck newspaper “Allgemeiner Tiroler Anzeiger”. New acquisition of premises at Andreas Hofer Strasse 4 in Innsbruck.
New building for printing house and bookshop in Bozen, following purchase of premises at Museumstrasse 42 in 1909.
Separate management established for the South Tyrolean businesses while maintaining the overall general management.
Agreement over the separation of Tyrolia into North and South Tyrolean branches with mutual undertakings of loyalty.
Final and official separation of the companies. Establishment of the monthly magazine “Der Seelsorger” in Vienna. Bookshore in Kitzbühl, later also in Mayrhofen, Jenbach, Pradl and Wattens. After prohibition of the name “Tyrol” in South Tyrol, Tyrolia must change its name to “Verlagsanstalt Vogelweider Ges.m.b.H.” in the south.
Bomb attack by Nazis on Tyrolia premises in Andreas Hofer Strasse, Innsbruck.
“Der Schlern” is forced to closed down. The Vogelweider publishing house is renamed “Athesia”.
Tyrolia is occupied by the Nazis, many of its assets are sold off and an attempt (never completed) is made to liquidate it. Arrest of senior members of staff. “Tiroler Anzeiger” and “Tiroler Volksbote” cease publication.
Trustee Albert Schiemer takes over the remains of Tyrolia in Innsbruck. Athesia operations in South Tyrol are taken over by their lawful owners. Reappearance of the “Dolomiten”, the “Katholisches Sonntagsblatt” and the “Volksbote”.
New printing house is opened in Bozen.
Extension of works in Weinbergweg, Bozen.
Completion of new bookbinding shop in Weinbergweg, Bozen.
Building of new rotary machine facility and expansion of administration wing in Weinbergweg, Bozen.